Tuesday, June 19, 2007

On rejection

I was "on hold" for a role in a production I dreamed of doing. I had two main reasons for wanting it so: the first and the larger reason was because this was such a good production, I could have evolved artistically in a rare way which, does not appear in my life all that often. (meaning: the opportunity to LEARN a whole lot from a true master, and carry it on for the rest of my days).
The other reason was the triumph I could have had along side. (yes, even I hope for a little bit of that sometimes...).
At the end they went ahead and chose someone who is my complete opposite, for their own private casting reasons. I still took it pretty hard for a few days.
My manager (who noticed how down in the dumps I was), had to have a talk with me, (what is kind of him, considering how many talks like this to how so many rejected singers he has to pull out his sleeve on a weekly basis), explaining to me what I know but tend to forget: This business is simply not kind. And it's full with rejection like a rotten apple and its worms, more than any other business. and, c'mon dear, you need to move on, forget about it, and know that there are better things coming your way. OK then. yay. (Still got a month here before heading back home. I miss home).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending you big, big hugs.

For what it's worth, I love and admire you as both a human being and an artist. And if I had my own opera house, I would hire any director you wanted (raise Visconti from the dead, anyone?) and mount a production of any opera you wanted, any time, knowing that it would be BEYOND wonderful.

xxxxo! *smoochy smooches!*

Yes, come home. New York bagels are waiting for you! :-)

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marion, can I be production designer to that, please? :)

4:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yuck. The opera world is indeed frustrating and fraught with rejection at every turn. Think of all of the talented singers lower on the "Career ladder" than you that would love to be where you are right now, getting paid to be singing for a living. A very good friend of mine says she is like the energizer bunny, she just keeps going and going, and forgets about auditions and "offers" as soon as she gets them. She only allows herself to get excited when she actually has a contract to sign. Tough cookie, indeed.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home