Sunday, June 17, 2007

Curse

Last night, our Fiordeligi cover , who has been singing with us for the past seven shows, has lost her voice. First half went well, but for the second, for an extremely mysterious and unknown reason, (allergic reaction? nerves? voodoo?) her voice was absolutely gone.
And since she IS the cover, there is nobody else.
She kind of marked through her big aria, but completely stopped singing after that.
All our recits, were softly spoken by her, sung by me, then the big Finale (which is us singing in thirds), well, was sung solo, by your humble mezzo, while our poor silent soprano was trying to do her blocking, hardly managing to see through a stream of flowing tears.
The show must go on, and that's what happened.
I sang HER lines in "E nel tuo, nel mio bicchiero...", which turn into a duet with Ferrando, which turns into a trio and lastly a quartet. I started their duet with him, then I sang MY line. It still sounded like some kind of a lame trio, as the entire rest of the opera ended up being.
I wish I could sing in two voices at the same time, ( some people can! did you know that?) but all I could do was to sing with only mine, shakily, (gosh, I think I was physically shaking) my own phrase, and wonder how wrong it sounds, missing the top line in all these ensembles.
This was like one of these singer nightmares we get during our anxiety dreams. I still can't believe how strange this whole summer has been so far.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What has happened to the first soprano??? Is she still sick? Or has she withdrawn entirely from the run?

4:33 PM  
Blogger Singin'rin said...

Answer is unknown...

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You deserve all the credit and admiration in the world for your moxie and pluck. But, still, it sounds like it sucked big-time, and I'm sorry you had to go through this.

xxo, v.f.

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! Oh you poor thing! In how many more ways are you going to be tested through this production! As if performing your own role wasn't challenging enough, lol!

Rose

11:26 AM  
Blogger ipdove said...

I heard 2nd June, which was IMHO much smoother than 2006 and your Dorabella is definitely much cooler, sultrier and sexier. Though I could maybe say that poor GR deserves a bit of a break, I have to say that the times I have heard her (2), I have been extremely impressed. Considering her experience wouldn't you say?
Now, I'm kinda burned up to know, are you leading Carmen at rainy GB 2008? now that would be a real treat, forget SVO. I want to see you!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Singin'rin said...

Sorry, ianp, Unfortunately I won't be doing the Carmen next summer. I believe the entire cast is going to be new as well...

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home