Thursday, June 28, 2007

Can I borrow your voice?

The other night, My Parents (who came to see their cubs perform in this part of the world) and I, traveled to London to listen to my brilliant violinist brother , play the Mendelssohn concerto with the Royal Phil.

For that concert , he has received a special violin to play on; A very special one, which used to belong to the great Menuhin.

Beside the fact that my amazing brother is all that and much more, I couldn't stop thinking about how strange it would be, if I could borrow a VOICE for different concerts and operas. What a fabulous and most bizarre thing!

I think this strikes a special chord with me, since the one thing in my self which I often dream of exchanging,(ok, beside my butt), is my voice. (and it's not because I hate my voice, but because there are so many other ones I love too).

From the beginning of my singing career, I was often envious of people who just opened their mouth , and a magical creamy, big velvety tone came out. regardless of musicality or any skill they might or might not have yet; some people are born with a big and beautiful instrument, some people are not. (just like some got naturally gorgeous physique and so on). Of course beauty is a subjective matter. But one thing you can not argue about, for example, is the beauty of , let's say, Renee Fleming's tone.
The rest of us, (and here I am talking of most singers really) do what we can to compensate for what we lack or might lack for a percentage of our listeners , with the help of other talents and skills.
But this fantastic idea of occasionally singing with a different instrument; what a marvel!
( This makes me laugh, remembering that through out my student years, I always had the Soprano anthology with me, and with my dear pianist friend, we would just sight read, aria after aria: Aida, Violetta, Elvira, Mimi, you name it. All the stuff my soul was born to sing but not my body) .

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I argue that Renee Fleming's voice is not all it's cracked up to be. Rene PAPE's voice, however, is unarguably the most beautiful voice in the world.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Singin'rin said...

All Rene's are fab... Shoot, I missed by a vowel! ;p

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, as far as I'm concerned, I envy some people's (yep, that means YOU, missus! :)) darker voice. mine seems to go easily (well, easily enuff...) towards the higher pitch, but I still have trouble singing below middle C. dunno how I managed to sing a low A as I was singing third voice of Manon Lescaut's madrigale (basically 'cos nobody wanted to sing that...), I reckon I just sung that "di petto", as if I was speaking instead of singing... can I borrow a few lower notes from you? I'll give you some higher ones in exchange (they're not *that* bad, if you refine them a little bit...) (check email...:-P)... :)))

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home