Sunday, May 21, 2006

The red corset

At my first fitting in Miami, I realized that no matter how good any corset can be, it would never be as good as the one I wore for my big and fabulous Carmen production I did at Glyndebourne a couple of years ago. That red corset was made for ME. It was made for my body; my torso, my chest, my waist, carefully cut and sewn by expert tailors and seamstresses. And in it I triumphed as Carmen singing that spectacular Mcvicar production which I will always remember and love. Seeing the pre-made one given to me as I arrived in Miami, I decided I had nothing to lose by asking Florida Grand to try and rent MY corset, if Glyndebourne would be so kind as to send it over. (This is not such a rare thing; opera companies often like to collaborate and build friendly relationships with each other. They exchange measurement sheets as much as they exchange opinions about their singers).
To my sheer delight,I got my good old corset a few days later, and in that corset, I felt inspired all over again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home