Friday, April 28, 2006

from OY to JOY

My second show found me so tired , (after back to back dress rehearsals, opening night, late night sponsor / shmoozing party, and a recital the next day !), that I was shocked to discover that even though I know the opera like the palm of my hand, I still managed to have a stinking brain fart and start second verse instead of first in the famous "tara ta ta" (after I dance for Jose and he dismisses me).
Now, if you get those two verses messed up, you are in real trouble, because each ends up differently, with pretty different music.
Already at the begining of that mistaken verse, I realized that I was singing the wrong phrase,; and it was already clear to me that there's no going back; The music is running so fast and I can't think about the right verse while doing the wrong one. So I had to improvise something , and go on like nothing happened.
Something like this makes me feel like shit. Of course the audience doesn't notice a thing, but I was down on my self until the end of the night, and worried about my concentration level. At this point of the show, I still have two more acts, and even though this is not the MET or Covent G, I still think wherever it is that you perform,you need to be the most perfect that you can be. That's how you build a good career, and mainly a good reputation.
Anyways, I had to recover quickly because I just can't be depressed here; It is way too nice to spend my time dwelling over what 's happened.
My next few free days, which I am treating as a mini vacation, (yes, I also believe one should LIVE...) are already filling up with beach, pool, nice dinners out, (and Peter is here with me which is great!), and lots of socializing with my buddies from the cast. Miami is so damn perfect; it's the place for self- forgiveness!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home